In part one, I shared our 2016-2017 world history textbook is Robin Walker’s When We Ruled and a little about why I made the decision to use this text. Today, I’d like to share a bit more on why and how we are using his amazing work.
Why We Are Using: Is Black History Slave History?
This photo summarizes how history is taught to African-Americans:
Now, it is bad enough that this is the opening act in U.S. History, but World History? So many questions remain like:
- What were “slaves” doing in Africa before slavery?
- If they were in Africa, were they really slaves?
- If they were not slaves, what were they doing?
- If Africa had so many people with dark skin in the country, how did they become slaves and why are “white” people there now?
- When did people with lighter skin come to Africa?
- If darker skin people…
View original post 754 more words